This seems to be the one month without any major holidays. We just had Independence Day in July and Labor Day comes next month, but as for August we have no major holidays at all
Maybe that is good thing. Maybe we need a rest from holidays or maybe it is just so hot we need to relax more than celebrate.
It could also be a time when we can create our own holiday. It can be one that is only for us and our family or friends. It can be one that is not prescribed by others as to when or how to celebrate.
Here are some ways to maybe start the brainstorming process (remember these ideas are not proscriptive but merely to get your own your own creative juices going):
- Go to a local zoo and each person tells which animal is most like them and why they made that choice.
- Ask the eldest or the youngest among your friends or family to pick an activity for all to do and then upon an agreed day and time and do it. Name that day after the person who picked the activity.
- Take a day and go to the most relaxing place you know, listen to the most relaxing music you know and read something that will so engross you that you find yourself lost in the book.
- Think of the loneliest person you know and take them out for coffee and pie or whatever they like to eat or drink.
- Maybe even get an ice tea (or drink of your choice) and sit somewhere cool and just have a one to one conversation with God. Talk to Him as you would a friend you can trust completely and confidentially. Tell Him all that has been happening at work, at home, with your family, with you. Tell Him you joys, your fears, your hopes and your disappointments.
- Another idea is to have a nothing day where you stay inside where it is cool, grab a something to drink and snack on and then watch your favorite movie.
- Ok, if that all sounds to selfish you can always go to a charity and pack meals that go to needy children, seniors or families.
- You could go to a local library and do a reading time for children.
- You could simply ride on a boat and enjoy the beauty God has provided us.
- You could have a family or friend fun day where all of you do one thing that each person thinks of but it must be free, no cos as far as having to buy a ticket etc.
As you can see the choices are endless, only limited by your own God given creativity. Oh, how spiritual is this you ask? Certainly a chaplain has more spiritually deep suggestion you might be asking yourself? I have a secret for you, God likes you to smile, to laugh, to relax and enjoy the world He has created.
True our spiritual journey is important one with many serious and important aspects to it, but so is the feeding of our soul with God’s delights. So make August your time to enjoy your life with others, to enjoy your life with the world God has made, to enjoy your life with God, and to simply enjoy your life.
Philippians 4:4-8 “4 Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. 5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. 6 Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”